How can I prevent caries?
Caries is the result of tooth decay, which is caused by bacteria that live in the mouth and got their with food containing sugars and starches left on the teeth: cereals, fruits, soda, cakes, breads, which is turned into acids. Here are the tips on how to prevent caries.
• Brush your teeth in the morning and before going to bed, or even more often. It would be preferably for you to brush them each time after you had meal. The toothpaste must contain fluoride.
• The areas between the teeth should also be cleaned with interdental cleaners or dental floss every day.
• Decrease the number of snacks and eat only well balanced and nutritious meals. Avoid eating of carbohydrates, such as pretzels, candy, chips, as they remain on the tooth surface and cause caries. After you have eaten sticky food thoroughly brush your teeth as soon as possible.
• Supplemental fluoride can strengthen your teeth, so ask your dentist about such a supplement.
• Both adults and children should drink fluoridated water for caries prevention. Children need just a pint of it each day.
• Make dental visits regularly for oral exam and professional cleaning.
• For cavities prevention eat more pears, crunchy apples, a host of raw vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers and celery.
The means for caries prevention are developed every day. It was found that chewing gum with sweetener xylitol provides temporal retardation of the bacteria grows in the mouth. Some other materials with the same effect are also being studied. It is planned that they will protect mouth cavity from bacteria being placed in pits and teeth fissures or between teeth. New generation of toothpastes and mouth rinses, which would effectively «heal» and reverse early tooth cavities are also being researched.