How psoriasis on the scalp can be treated?
Psoriasis is a very unpleasant skin condition, which occurs nearly on all the parts of the body, and usually it is often found on the scalp. It is characterized by red thick scaly patches, irritated, dry, itchy skin. It is usually accompanied by dandruff, but these are two different conditions, so the treatment should differ as well.
- Use medicated dandruff shampoo as in some cases, if psoriasis is mild, it helps. Choose the shampoo with such active ingredients as zinc pyrithione, coal tar, ciclopirox and ketoconazole. This shampoo can be used daily, but to avoid scalp irritation you should use it only several times a week.
- You can efficiently treat psoriasis by rubbing salicylic acid or coal tar, contained in the ointments and creams, into the scalp. It is recommended to use ointments on the base of coconut oil. It should be soaked into the scalp an hour or so before washing it out.
- Ultraviolet light efficiently helps to kill psoriasis on different body areas and on a scalp as well. Try light or phototherapy to get rid of the disease. Just expose the scalp to the sun, but be aware that the amount of ultraviolet light is strictly controlled in order to avoid the sunburn. It will make the problem to be more complicated as sunburn promotes psoriasis worsening.
- It was found that biologic agents worsen psoriasis as they work against your immune system. These medications provide outbreaks of psoriasis and hinder the treatment. Try to avoid medications with brand names Amevive, Remicade, Humira and Enbrel, if possible, replace them with more harmless analogues.
- If you failed to control over the psoriasis symptoms, see your doctor. He will prescribe more effective and stronger treatment options.
- Don’t scratch the scalp too much, as it may cause secondary infection.