How to help the person while epilepsy seizure?
There are different types of epilepsy seizures, so you can help only if you know the specifics of each one. If the person goes stiff, loses consciousness and falls with jerky movements this is the Tonic-Clonis seize. When the epilepsy Tonic-Clonic seizure happens with somebody you can really help. Here are the tips how to do it and not to harm.
• In order to protect the person from injury all the harmful objects must be removed from nearby.
• Cushion the person`s head
• Find epilepsy identity jewellery or identity card
• Don’t leave him alone until the seizure will finish
• Try to calm him down and reassure
The following things you shouldn’t do in order not to harm:
• The person`s movements shouldn’t be restrained
• Don’t put anything to his mouth
• Don’t move the person unless he is in danger
• You shouldn’t do the person anything to drink or to eat until he is fully recovered
• Don’t make attempts to bring the person round
You will need medical help
• if you know that this is the first seizure
• if it continuous more than five minutes
• if one seizure is followed by another one and the person isn’t regaining consciousness between them
• if case of injuring the person while having the seizure
• if you are sure that urgent medical attention is required.
While having Complex partial seizures the person doesn’t understand where he is and what is going on around. He may smack the lips, wander around, swallow repeatedly and pluck at his clothes.
How to help:
• the person should be guided from danger
• don’t leave him alone until complete recovery
• behave calmly reassuring
• if he has missed something explain it
The person with this type of seize shouldn’t be restrained while having it, shouldn`t be frightened with shouting at him or making abrupt movements. Don’t give anything to eat and to drink until full recovery, don’t make attempts to bring him round.